Tottenham are considering the possibility of offering Luka Modric a new contract after discussions with Real Madrid over his current deal stalled. The midfielder’s future has been in doubt since he and Spurs failed to agree on a renewal last summer.
Fans in the UK were hoping for a Luka Modric return to Tottenham but recent public comments from the striker’s agent, Karim Houri, suggest that Madrid are yet to make an offer. The situation is currently complicated by Spurs’ reluctance to sell their star man without receiving any assurances on his contract length and whether he would be given a Champions League place next season.
Tottenham are considering the return of Luka Modric as Real Madrid continue to drag out their contract negotiations. The Croatian is reportedly unhappy with his current pay and has been trying to find a new club since the start of 2018.
The January transfer window for 2022 is open (see when it shuts here), and there’s a lot of speculation about who’ll be heading where. Transfer Talk provides you the most up-to-date news on speculations, arrivals and departures, and, of course, completed transactions!
Spurs are considering bringing back Modric.
Real Madrid are continuing talks with midfielder Luka Modric over a new contract, but Tottenham Hotspur could offer the Croatia international a return to north London if he’s unable to agree fresh terms with Los Blancos, according to Ekrem Konur. The 36-year-old is out of contract in the summer, with January providing the opportunity to negotiate a pre-contract with clubs abroad.
• Barnwell’s best moves: 100-51 | 50-1 • January transfer grades • Latest completed major transfers
– Borussia Dortmund are preparing for talks with Erling Haaland and his representatives to discuss his plans for the future, reports SportBILD. The Black and Yellow are said to have offered the Norway international a new contract to stay at the club, paying him in the region of €20m a year, as they want to clarify the 21-year-old’s plan for the future ahead of a summer in which a €75m release clause is said to be active.
– Newcastle United are eyeing two potential alternatives to transfer target Lille centre-back Sven Botman, reports Calciomercato. The Magpies have reportedly had a move turned down for Botman and are now looking at AS Monaco’s Benoit Badiashile and Everton’s Mason Holgate as fallback options to bolster their defence.
– Juventus have joined the race for Lyon midfielder Bruno Guimaraes, writes Calciomercato. The 24-year-old has been linked with a number of clubs this month, with the Old Lady thought to be the latest as they look to reshape their midfield, but OL are reportedly holding out for a transfer fee of €50m before sanctioning the Brazil international’s departure.
– AS Roma were heavily linked with a move for Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka last summer, but they could be back in for him this year, according to Gazzetta dello Sport. Jose Mourinho is reportedly looking to revisit a move for the Switzerland international at the end of the season, having already signed Gunners midfielder Ainsley Maitland-Niles on loan for the remainder of the campaign.
– Newcastle United are set to sign Burnley striker Chris Wood, according to Fabrizio Romano. The New Zealand international is said to have a £20m release clause, which the Magpies are willing to meet, and aim to complete a deal soon amid the absence of the injured Callum Wilson.